Sunday, April 29, 2007

Yanmar Going Back In

wingssail image-Fredrick Roswold
Engine

We had the engine out for some exterior servicing and here it is just getting reinstalled.

After 15 years our Yanmar three cylinder still ran great (and it has had recent servicing) but there was rust and dirt on its exterior, many of the engine bolts were frozen, and the motor mounts were shot. On top of it all, we needed a new oil seal on the transmission. The Yanmar manual said we needed to take off the tranny to fix that seal, and with a few stuck bolts in some tough places this was going to be really hard. So we had the whole engine taken out.

They did all the work we asked, replaced the leaking seal, removed and replaced and greased all the frozen bolts, put new mounts in plus they repainted the engine, but it turned out the seal could have been fixed without taking out the engine; it comes off from the back!

Oh well, the rest of the work was needed anyhow.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger wingssail said...

It turned out that Jeffery and the boys didn't quite do all the work they billed me for.

A year later I had some leakage from a bolt on the heat exchanger. I touched it with a wrench and the head broke off.

Now I know enough to know that Jeffery's mechanics broke that bolt and just left it. Painted over it in fact. They took a calculated risk that I'd be long gone before I discovered it.

What I don't know is how many other ones they left un-serviced.

If I ever get back to Singapore I'll have a little chat with Jeffery.

9:32 AM GMT+8  

Post a Comment

<< Home

NEXT Page (More) , or... GO BACK to Previous Page